Monday, August 16, 2010

Bitch is the new black


In addition to a love of fashion I have a love of books. A love of reading is something my mom instilled in me from an early age. Every holiday that one can receive a gift, my mom gave me a book; Christmas, birthdays, Valentine's Day, Easter, book, book, book. Sounds corny but I loved it! I have a very active imagination and getting lost in a book is most definitely a favorite past time. So here's what I'm currently reading.



Bitch is the new Black is a memoir penned by Ms. Helena Andrews, "A sexy single and self described smart ass." She has a witty writing style and addresses issues common to the single, college educated, black woman. Within the first chapter I couldn't help thinking "My goodness, it's not just me!!" Here is a quick excerpt from Bitch is the new black.
It's three weeks until I turn twenty-eight, so three weeks and two years before I hit thirty and my face melts off. It's been one week since I started my online campaign against Dex10 , five months since we broke up in real life, and four days since I met this new guy with a cleft chin, so it's who-knows-how-long before my new nonrelationship. Call me Kiefer: my life has been operation on a ticking-time-bomb scenario for the past year.
"Dude, what is your life about?!" quizzes Gina every morning over IM like the opening bell of a boxing match, startling me into the ring of another Monday. The alarm of starting the day off single. "Ummmm, who the hell knows?" I say, too exhausted to think of anything better.
I don't feel almost twenty-eight. Not an actual adult, I'm more adult-ish. See, I'm just a girl. An awesome one of course, but just one. And like so many other little brown girls my age, I believe the problem of loving, lusting, or even "liking liking" someone can be solved with a single equation: x + y = gtfohwtbs* (if "x" ≥ 28 years old and "y" = socially retarded men).
*Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit

I'm more than half way through the 241 pages, and I can't put it down. According to the back flap Andrews is working on a film adaptation of the book, can't wait for that. You can check the book out, purchase, and read more from inside here, and more on Andrews here.

What interesting books have you read lately?

1 comment: